Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I had the chance to go through some old papers at my parents' house.  When I was a child, my mother kept a box that she filled with important papers from my childhood.  Each of my siblings and I had such a box and from time to time growing up, we'd hear, "you'd better put it in your box."  I've scanned through the contents before but I don't think I really took the time to read everything like I did this time.  There was such an array of items in my box: my IEP, a family portrait I drew in first grade, my sash from Girl Scouts, folders filled with writing assignments from fifth grade through eighth grade, an invitation to my high school graduation.  Also included was this:


At eight years old, I was already establishing myself as a bookworm.  About that time, a wonderful thing happened in my life.  A children's bookstore opened in my town.

 
There was no better birthday present than one of their gift certificates enclosed in a red envelope with my name written on the front.  The address was different back then in the late eighties, but I'm thankful to still be able to visit the bookstore of my youth.


That chair out front is a newer addition, too.  

Here's a different angle of the chair, which you've hopefully noticed is comprised of  the A,B,C's.
When Eight Cousins opened, there were multiple other bookstores in Falmouth though none were exclusively for children.  Unfortunately those other stores have since shut their doors.  In their absence, Eight Cousins has evolved into a bookstore for every age in the community, offering books for adults as well as their vast selection for young readers.  I'd love to regale you with tales of me discovering the classics that were stocked on the shelves of Eight Cousins, but I can't.  I was consumed by a love of Sweet Valley Junior High books and the Babysitter's Club.  Was the super edition in stock??  Did Logan like Mary Ann?  Would Jessica continue to be the bad twin?  These were pressing questions in any young girl's life.  And I discovered the answers while cementing my love for reading.

Not only was I a customer, I also had close connections to the staff.  One of my close childhood friends and my sister both worked at Eight Cousins at various times.

My sister, in costume, being led down Main Street by a friend during a First Night celebration.  Its hard to see in those costumes so a guide is very helpful.    

I found my way into their backroom a few times too, folding the newsletters that would grace customers' mailboxes.  Even once I was past the age at which those newsletters were aimed, opening the mailbox to reveal the latest one still excited me.

If you find yourself on the Upper Cape, the book nerd in me can't recommend Eight Cousins enough.  You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely check that out this summer! My childhood favorite burned down 10 years ago. It was on cranberry highway in wareham. I used to collected cans from the trash bins (with a stick) and after going to the redemption center, i would take my share and go to the used bookstore. I loved wandering through the tightly packed shelves in the basement.
    I was so sad when it burned down- so many books died that day. So many books that have run out of print and no one ever though of after their first runs. But I used to find them and rediscover them.

    ReplyDelete